Here at Woodlands Veterinary Group, we are proud to offer keyhole surgery at our hospital in Plymouth. Laparoscopic or keyhole procedures have been performed on humans for many years and have significant benefits over traditional open surgeries. Neutering is recommended to avoid unwanted pregnancies and reduce the risk of some cancers and womb infections.
In contrast with traditional neutering, keyhole surgery is a much safer, less invasive method carried out through two or three small incisions rather than one large incision in the abdomen. A camera and long, thin, surgical instruments are used inside the body to achieve maximum precision with minimal invasion and trauma. Only the ovaries are removed which shortens surgery time and reduces any risks involved.
The main benefits of keyhole surgery are:
- Less pain during procedures
- Less post-operative pain and discomfort
- Less need for drugs post-operatively
- Halves the recovery time compared to a traditional spay
- Two or three smaller incisions rather than one larger incision
- We can examine the abdomen during a spay for any abnormalities, not easily done with traditional methods
- Less risk of complications and infections
Some of the procedures we can offer include:
- Laparoscopic spays
- Laparoscopic biopsies
- Laparascopic assisted removal of bladder stones and intestinal foreign bodies
- Removal of retained testicles
- Abdominal exploratory surgery
If you are interested in further information regarding laparoscopic procedures or would like to find out about booking an appointment for your pet, please call us on 01329 833112.